Thursday, October 1, 2009

Does a Virtual World have any Limitations?

    Do virtual worlds have limitations? It seem unlikely to me because the Sistine Chapel, Mexico, the Globe Theater, rockets, cars, people were all able to be created in Second Life. I have seen limited evidence that any idea a user comes up with could not be created for others avatars to enjoy. Avatars fly, teleport, and can actually speak to one another through microphones, if they are built into the computer. They can make land rise and fall and appear with clicks of a button. What cannot be done?


    Only a few years back, technology such as this did not even exist and now look what me and millions of other people are able to enjoy at our fingertips. Education programs, like mine, have been enhanced because of Second Life's seemingly limitless capabilities. My chemistry teacher wants to learn how to hold virtual labs, after I informed him that it was a possibility. Today, my English teacher asked the class to be bodyguards for a conference that is going to take place in Second Life, where trouble is expected to happen. A fight could break out, just like in real- life! How could technology like this get any more advanced? Are places going to become even more realistic, are they going to pop out of the screen? I don't know and I will have to wait to find out what computer scientists invent next for virtual worlds, but right now it seems unbelievable that anything better could be invented.


    I am highly interested in investigating further the limitations that still hold Second Life back from being the "real- world" on a computer. Do these limitations even exist? If so, what are they and how are they being overcome? After completing extensive research, I could then write a paper, mostly likely a long paper, to present my findings and answer my question. It would be one of the most interesting papers I have even written! When can I start?

1 comment:

  1. Some feedback that may help with future posts and projects:

    --"I am on a mission to find something that cannot be created in Second Life." So far, no one thankfully has been able to make us feel or smell or taste anything from in-world.

    --"Second's life" (OUCH). Read aloud. When you use Second Life, both words get capitalized. SLers and technically minded readers get annoyed with errors of this sort. I once called Linden Lab Linden Labs (with the "s") in a comment on a blog and got "slapped about" verbally in a reply.

    ReplyDelete