Thursday, October 29, 2009

Avatars Have Feelings Too!!

Cinderella and I, It and I or how should I refer to my extension, since we are not the same? This is the question I now propose since it has been brought to my attention that I have been assimilating myself too much with my avatar, Cinderella. To what extent can an avatar be considered a person? If avatars are not people, well virtual people, what is Cinderella? A virtual computer thing just shaped like a person?  It's not me, it's a digital copy, just an online representation of my personality, or is it?

Ahhhh! All those many questions are daunting me and just roaming around in my head. I have actually contemplated and reflected on them randomly many times already in my classes. I still cannon figure out the best way to refer to my avatar without always saying "my avatar." I believe that Cinderella is a part of me, an extension of my personality, so I don't see any reason not to say "Cinderella and I" but is that correct way of referring to it/her? I do not believe that I am at the point where my avatar and I have become one, as some people have mentioned to me, because my avatar lives in a completely different world than I do. Possibly on some rare visits Second Life, Cinderella and I have become one, only because I have found myself being immersed in SL as I am sure many of you have. I do still know the difference between reality and virtual reality and i have not blurred that boundary yet. So Cinderella is not me, but then again what is it/she? I created her and control her and tell her what to say, so what does that make it/her?

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I feel like I have gone around in circles trying to figure theses questions out and so now I am asking for help. My question to everyone is..What is your avatar to you and how do you refer to him/her/it? I am so confused!!

No comments:

Post a Comment