Monday, October 19, 2009

A Change in Plans

I am sorry! I am apologizing because as promised in my last blog, I was supposed to write and post pictures about a fashion show in Second Life during the Burning Life 2009 Festival, however I must retract that promise, as the fashion show failed to measure up to my expectations. When I teleported Cinderella, my avatar, to the fashion show I was expecting to witness a event with unique clothing designed by creators of the avatars wearing them. I was sadly disappointed when I only saw one outfit that I considered unique out of six.

Burning Life-Trego - Cinderell... This outfit was the only one that I was fascinated by because if its color, design of the skirt and the avatar's accessories. The rest of the outfits were just plain tops and skirts. I was very disappointed in my first Burning Life event experience, but I was not deterred from attending other events. I went to a dance party and a fireworks show and they were much more impressive, but the event I loved the most was because of its "ridiculous incongruity," as the Second Life event listing describes the event.


Burning Life-Vya - Cinderella ...Bumper Snails was described perfectly in the event listing as "ridiculous," but was a whole lot of fun. It was the best event I have attended in Second Life since joining. Figuring out how to wear the snail costume was tricky, but the event's specific camp builder, the person in charge of the event, helped me and then I got to have some "snail" fun. Once the arena started to fill up with many avatars, the party really got started and the bumping fights began. I have never been so fiercely competitive and addicted in my life! I was bumping and being bumped for over a hour until the event was over.  I was so sad when the event closed. The event was so unique and the snail costume was so life-like except for the objects on the shell..a treasure chest? I have no idea what the objects were, but it didn't matter because I was so concentrated on bumping the other snails. The snails even left a slime trail behind them. I just had a great time!
I did learn a little bit about Second Life culture that users can come up with some very unique ideas. The Bumper Snails event was just ingenious. Competition was also fierce and I learned that avatars can become rowdy, because they did at this event. Bumping avatars was also allowed for this event only, because usually it is impolite to bump another avatar. Manners were suspended for this event. I loved it! If Burning Life is held again next year, I am definetely going to return to the Bumper Snails event. Hope to see some other new faces there next year!!


Burning Life-Vya - Cinderella ...

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures! And the one you add to the wiki front page really adds a level of excitement to the work.

    That detail about the slime-trails is telling. It shows us something that builders add to make an experience "immersive," or realistic enough that you begin to lose yourself in it. After all, IF giant snails existed and we could ride them, they'd leave a trail.

    If you research fashion in SL for the final, consider this event as one point of data. You may need to visit some virtual salons to see what the most famous designers are doing.

    ReplyDelete