Thursday, October 8, 2009

So Many Fascinating Places..So Little Time!

Been anywhere exciting lately? I have!! My avatar, Cinderella Caffarelli, visited the scientific wonder that is Genome Island, explored to the depths of the unconscious, and fell upon the mysterious sandy shores of a beach island in Second Life. Cinderella has never has such an exciting adventure, even compared to her first exploration of Second Life, the second time around was even better!


Genome - Cinderella CaffarelliFirst stop, Genome Island. I learned about this island from my teacher, when I expressed interest in learning about Second Life's scientific capabilities. I wanted to know how Second Life could enhance a student's understanding of topics such a DNA. There were an abundant amount of resources on Genome Island about DNA that Cinderella could interact with. All I had to do was click a button and all the information would just appear for me to read and try to understand. This would have been a great tool to use when I was in biology class studying DNA. Another biology topic that was enhanced by visiting Second Life was about human cells. I was able to refresh my memory about all the parts of a cell and take quizzes about what I remembered. I even got to stand in a cell!

Genome - Cinderella Caffarelli
Doesn't it look cool? Each individual part of the cell possessed the capability of being clicked on so a window with links to information about that part would pop up. I received a weeks worth of in-class biology lessons in a few minutes. There is a mitochondria right by Cinderella's head! I am just astonished that before a few weeks ago I never knew such technology even existed because I am no technology guru. Now, I have virtual cell parts floating by my head.


Virtual NLM - Cinderella Caffa...
Next stop, a mysterious beach island that was adjacent to Genome Island, upon which Cinderella happened on in her travels around the scientific island. This island wasn't a landmark that my teacher gave me, but then the greatest discoveries are the ones we don't know about and find on our own. Cinderella was able to ride a jet ski there, a surf board, then she hopped in a pink convertible for a spin around the block.

Virtual NLM - Cinderella Caffa...
Cinderella went from exploring about DNA to laying out on the beach getting tan in just a few minutes. There was even a virtual school on this island as well, that I actually got to explore and a thought occurred to me that someday in the future children might be virtually attending school online or in a virtual world such as Second Life.

Montclair State CEHSADP - Cind...
Finally Cinderella's last stop was a dive into the unconscious as explained by Freud. Cinderella took a tour of the Second Life's representation of Sigmund Freud's theory of the three part psyche. Cinderella and I examined how the Id, Ego and Superego played a part in Sigmund theory and how each worked, like what impulses our Id tells us that our Ego and Superego suppress. I studied about Freud in my psychology classes, but never in this interactive way before. I got to experience first hand about each part of the personality as explained by Freud and even participate in some exercises about each, learning about my brain's impulses and desires that never reach my consciousness. This exploration was my favorite because I am very interested in studying psychology and Second Life can actually aid me in doing so.



So another adventure down, still many more to come. I have not even scratched the surface of all the places that I want to visit in Second Life. Cinderella and I are not sure where we want to go next but I know it will be interesting and educational. Until then...goodbye!! Sweet Dreams.....


Montclair State CEHSADP - Cind...

1 comment:

  1. Let's meet to get these photos placed properly.

    They are just links in your blog.

    ReplyDelete