Friday, November 20, 2009

Mission Code Name: Saving Isis and Gender and Race Switch Project

Its the middle of November already!? This month has been a really busy month for my English class. We were assigned two fun, but in depth projects in Second Life and Heritage Key. One was called Saving Isis and the other was called a Gender and Race Switch. These were time consuming projects and we had to write long Wiki projects on them, but I still managed to have fun while completing them. We worked in groups for our Saving Isis project, and I even was fortunate enough to complete at least the adventure part of our gender and race switch project with a friend.


Saving Isis

For our Saving Isis project, we were challenged with the task to find a way to save the mural Howard Carter destroyed when he uncovered the Tomb of King Tut. He had cut through a beautiful mural of an Egyptian Goddess, just so he could remove the sarcophagus of the King.  Carter discovered the tomb in 1922 and didn't have the same technology we have, so my group of peers and I set out to devised a plan to save her. After extensive research and much bickering between our group, we came up with a final solution. We wrote and explained all about our plans in our wiki's how we bypassed the mural and rescued King Tut's sarcophagus an treasures without destroying Isis.

Ahern - Thumper Starsider


Our second project was a gender and race switch project, in which we had to switch our avatar's race or gender. I transformed into a African American female and my friend transformed into a blond haired girl. Our task was explore Second Life and see if we were treated differently. I was fortunate to share this experience with a friend. Luckily, I was not discriminated against at all in Second Life and instead I was actually flirted with. As me and my friend explored, we took pictures of the people we met and interacted with, so we could write our project about our experiences in our new skin. We both had a pleasant experience and was able to write about something happy in out Wiki's. I had a blast.

These projects were long and time consuming, but they were the most interesting ones of my English class so far. I enjoyed solving the Isis mystery and my experiencing Second Life as an African American avatar. I had an intriguing and insightful experience working with these projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment